Sunday, October 13, 2013

I'm FINALLY HERE!!!


Here is Sister Anderson's latest communication.  We received this last Monday.  I will try to do better getting something up a little faster.  Sister Anderson is really excited about missionary work!  Enjoy!

Here's a picture of Sister Anderson with Elder Risk before she left the MTC.  They were pretty excited to see each other!  Always a treat to see a friendly face.  GREAT kids!

Elder Risk and Sister Anderson
 
Well! I made it to Virginia! I love it here so much! The roads are really confusing. I feel like whoever made the road system used cooked spaghetti noodles as a model. The streets twist and turn in every direction!!! I'm going to have to invest in a GPS... Luckily my companion has one!
 
My last few days in the MTC were great. I was able to meet up with Elder Clark and his companion in the cafeteria for dinner! It was great to see him one last time. The last night we were there my district decided to do blessings. The elders were able to give all the sisters a blessing. I am so grateful for the priesthood. And I am so grateful to be a woman of this church! The elder that gave me my blessing had no idea what was on my mind. But the Lord did. :)
 
I fell asleep on the planes and didn't get to talk to anyone about the gospel. Man! I was so excited to talk to someone on the plane because when they're strapped in, they can't run away from me! Haha! Oh well. I have the next 18 months to talk to people about this wonderful gospel!!
 
We got off the plane and loaded into vans. The Riggs wanted to take us to the Lincoln memorial before we went to the mission home, but the government is SHUT DOWN. So we just wound up driving in circles before we decided to go back to the home. The mission home is beautiful. There was a basement with a bunch of bunk beds and floor space, so that's where they put all 26 of the elders. There were 6 sisters, so we stayed in the Riggs' daughter's rooms upstairs. I was so exhausted and could barely keep my eyes open! President Riggs interviewed all of us to get to know us all better. In the interview he said, "So now that you've graduated from the MTC, you should be an expert at role playing!" I immediately started sweating thinking that I'd have to give him the first lesson or something! But instead, he asked me to play the part of my mother while he played the part of President Riggs. Haha. So he asked me, as mom, to tell him what I thought of my daughter. Man, immediately I was overcome with the spirit. I told him about how I talked to my daughter earlier that day while she was at the airport and how I told her that she was born to be a missionary. I told him about how she has a special relationship with her Father in Heaven. Then he cut the role play. President then told me (as Sister Anderson) about how even before I got there he had heard so many great things about me! I was kinda surprised! But then I remembered Michael Litchfield used to be the Assistant to the President in my mission. :) That night I slept so well. They let us go to sleep earlier than 10:30, and I was SO grateful! It was a really long day.
 
The next day I met my first companion! Her name is Sister McKenna and I love her so much! She's my trainer for the next 6 weeks. I have already learned so much from her. She's a really good example to me. She's a little more quiet than I am, but she is really good at talking to people and telling them about Christ's wonderful gospel. After the transfer meeting as we were waiting by our car to leave, I asked her about our investigators! I just couldn't wait to meet them! She told me about a man named George from KENYA! She called and set up to meet with him later that evening. I was SO EXCITED! Meeting George was all I could think about as we drove back to our apartment. Before our appointment, we went street contacting. I just have to say that contacting is so much FUN!!!!!!! I love stopping people and talking to them! There are so many people of so many different backgrounds and I just love all of them! I didn't know I could love so many people, especially people I don't know. But Christ is sharing some of that love that he has for them with me. It's such a blessing. I told Sister McKenna the other day as we were driving to an appointment that I feel responsible for every person I lay eyes on. She told me that I shouldn't let that burden stress me out. I told her that I don't. The Savior is carrying that burden with me. I can literally feel it. It's amazing how much love he is capable of. Even as a missionary I can't comprehend it. Okay so George. George is AMAZING. My first impression of him was an impression of the spirit. My mind is still blown. I looked him in the eye, introduced myself and shook his hand. The moment I touched his hand, I literally saw him dressed in all white. It's as if he had magically changed his clothes and put on a white baptism jumpsuit. I am going to help him get baptized. I know that's my responsibility. I just know it. He's really hard to teach though. He has a strong background of the Bible and loves God so much! We went to teach him about faith, but he wound up talking about everything we were going to say! I was so amazed. It's almost as if he's already a member. I want so badly for George to be baptized and hold the priesthood. We're still trying to help him understand that the Book of Mormon isn't a replacement to the Bible, but an addition. It's another testament of Jesus Christ! It completes the Bible in areas that aren't clear! The Book of Mormon contains the fullness of Christ's restored gospel! He's so close to knowing of the full truth! I can't wait for him to realize it! :) :) :)
 
Last night I met a lady named Rande. She is SO PREPARED to hear the gospel! The Lord really has been preparing these people for me!
 
Man! My companion said we only have 5 more minutes! I have so much more to say! Okay I'll try.
 
Street contacting is so fun. I stopped a lady and immediately started talking to her kids. Turns out she's a single mom and hasn't been to church in a while. Her name is Lisa. Her kids are THE CUTEST! We didn't think to take their info, but we gave her a Book of Mormon. I think she listened to us because I actually took the time to talk to her kids. :) I love being sneaky like that. I love looking at someone and starting a conversation based on what they need to hear. :) It's so fun! The Lord is really blessing me to help me see pay attention to those kinds of things. The best part about street contacting is seeing people literally run away from us. I mean, come on! Did I grow fangs since I've moved to Virginia?! HAHA! Oh man....
 
I LOVE reading the Book of Mormon EVERY DAY! Every day blessings are promised us as we study the Book of Mormon and apply is to our lives. I have already learned so much. I loved conference. Saturday it was all about missionary work! The prophet charged EVERYONE of us to be a missionary NOW. We are all called of God! We're all missionaries! HOW GREAT IS OUR CALLING! Reading the BOM is hard sometimes. It's hard to find time in my busy day. I've made it to Nephi 18! Slowly but surely. Haha. It truly testifies of Jesus Christ.
 
I really liked how one of the repeated sayings of all the prophets were "be not afraid. Only believe" Man I have so much to say about conference. It was just amazing. The Lord revealed so much to me that will help me as a missionary. He also revealed things that will help these people in Virginia. I've seen so many miracles already. And I expect to see many more. I couldn't have made it even this far without the help of the Lord. I didn't think it was possible to pray as much as I have. Haha. I rely on him so much. I love him with all my heart. I love his children. I love my companion. I love my mission. I love being a missionary. I am so blessed to have the opportunity to be in this place at this time as a servant of our God. Stay strong! You're all in my many prayers. Sorry if I didn't answer all of your questions.
 
This is a great work! It's something worth being excited about! f
 
LOVE YOU ALL! Have a great week! :)
 
Love
Sister Anderson

2 comments:

  1. Great entry! Thanks Tammy for keeping this blog up. I wish Hunter and Tyler would send such detailed information - but maybe its a "guy thing"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading it! Ha ha. Hope you heard a lot from them tonight!

      Delete