Monday, November 25, 2013

November 18, 2013 - God is a Refiner of Men

Sister Hanson and Sister Anderson
This week was great. We got transfer calls Tuesday night. Sister Mckenna was gone to Kingstown or something. I can't remember haha. But my new companion's name is Hillary Hanson! She's pretty much the coolest person ever. She has big poofy hair and loves to talk! We both have a lot in common in the fact that we love talking to people, and we're really outgoing. So tracting and street contacting is great. She's been on her mission for nine months. I'm so glad that she's going to finish training me because she knows a lot about being a missionary. She's been at it for a while now. :) She's from Vacaville, California and she is the youngest of three kids. She has one older sister and an older brother who are both married. Her sister is less active. Sister Hanson's really excited for online procelyting so that she can help reactivate her sister! Sister Hanson's super chill and we communicate really well. She said that we are going to be powerhouse teachers! I can't wait!
 
I've been keeping busy, but there isn't anything super exciting to write about this week. I think I wrote about my prompting to drive to Falls Church to visit our potential investigator named Julio in my last email... We set up a return appointment with him for the next day. We were five minutes away from his apartment when he texted us and said that he was called into work early and that he wasn't interested anway. We even had a member drive all the way out there to come to the lesson! So we just talked with the member for a little bit. Turns out, as she has been praying for missionary experiences, she has been able to share the gospel and see miracles every single day! She told us about how she took our advice that we gave her weeks earlier to pray to enlist the help of angels. And so many doors have been opened to her! She is a great missionary. She talks to people about the gospel at the grocery store, at the park, at work. She told us about how she went to a restaurant where they offered her wine right when she sat down. Instead of politely saying no she responded, "I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of latter-day Saints, and I do not drink alcohol!" WOW. Talk about courage! Her faith strengthens mine! There are ways everyone can share the gospel every day! Pray for teh guidance of the Lord. He has placed people in our paths that are ready for the gospel!
 
The Lord is a refiner of men. In Malachi it says, 2 But who may aabide the bday of his ccoming? and who shall dstand when he appeareth? for he is like a erefiner’s ffire, and like fullers’ gsoap:3 And he shall sit as a arefiner and purifier of silver: and he shall bpurify the csons of dLevi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the Lord an eoffering in righteousness.
Just as a metal refiner would have to heat up gold or silver in order to burn out the impurities, the Lord "heats" us up to burn out our own impurities. We are given challenges and trials to make us stronger. I know the Lord will not give us anything that we can't handle, and he expects us to turn to him in order to make it through. He wants us to become the best that we can be in this life. I know that I have my rash for a reason. It's not fun at all, but I am learning patience and long-suffering. And I'm probably learning a lot more than that, but only the Lord knows. He is definitely pushing me and testing me. But it's strengthening my faith. I have to pray a LOT to make it through sometimes. Thank goodness for the atonement of Jesus Christ!! The atonement covers a LOT more than just the sins of the world. Christ suffered for the pains and afflictions as well.
Alma 7:11-13And he shall go forth, suffering pains and aafflictions and btemptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will ctake upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.
12 And he will take upon him adeath, that he may bloose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to csuccor his people according to their infirmities.
13 Now the Spirit aknoweth all things; nevertheless the Son of God suffereth according to the bflesh that he might ctake upon him the sins of his people, that he might blot out their transgressions according to the power of his deliverance; and now behold, this is the testimony which is in me.

Just pay attention to the order of his sufferings in this scripture. First he suffered the afflictions, or hard trials that are inflicted upon us, then he suffered temptations and THEN he suffered the sins of the world. Christ went through a whole lot just for US. So that means that Christ suffered my mystery rash! I pray for help in enduring the pain that comes from trying to resist scratching. I pray to have the itch taken away during lessons or at night so that I can focus on the spirit and sleep well. The atonement of Jesus Christ is real and it works when we apply it to our lives with faith. A metal refiner knows when his work is complete when he can look into that piece of metal and can see his reflection. Alma 5:14 And now behold, I ask of you, my brethren of the church, have ye aspiritually been bborn of God? Have ye received his image in your countenances? Have ye experienced this mighty cchange in your hearts?
Have you recieved his image in your countenance? I think of that cheesy song that we sang in Young Womens Camp a few years back. :) When all of our impurities have been heated and when we have become the best we can be in this life, people will be able to see Christ through us. Becoming the best we can be is a gradual process, and it's not easy! We need continue to develop Christlike attributes all the time! It's all about enduring to the end! I have a strong testimony of my Savior and his infinite atonement! I love testifying of him every single day! I love being a representative of Him and wearing his name over my heart! Whenever I don't know what to say in the middle of a lesson or if I forget what to say in the middle of a tracting situation, I immediately start testifying of Jesus Christ. It works! :) This church is true. This is a gospel of love! I am proud of who I am and who I represent. Missionary work is THE most important work anyone could ever do. Help the missionaries in your area. Give them people to teach. Invite EVERYONE to an activity or church. If you truly love your friends, you'll share with them the greatest gift that anyone could offer; the gospel of Jesus Christ.
I love you all! I hope you have a great week!
Love,
Sister Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment